Color Me.... Italian
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
  Traditional Sicilian Pupi Show
They are NOT puppets.... you use your hands for puppets; nor are they marionetts. They are pupi, traditional Sicilian pupi. The Pupi Master went into much detail in the subject to make sure that we understood the difference. Last week, someone mentioned to me that some kids get scared at the puppet show, because they use drums and yelling to enhance the performance. I somewhat doubted Carlee would get scared... How loud could they be for a kids' puppet play? Well, I realized I could possibly be wrong, when the English translator (and granddaughter of the Pupi master) introduced the play as, "The Death of Orlando."

whoa. The Death of Orlando? We are at the family puppet show, right? haha. That we were. The pupi were taller than Carlee, hand painted, and wearing handmade clothes. And it was really awesome the way that they could make them move like people, you almost forgot that they were puppets... errr pupi. At least I did. I got into the play, even though I couldn't understand a single word, except for the translator's part: "Orlando, my love. Where are you?"

But even in Italian, I somewhat got the gist of what was giong on. The Christians were fighting.... someone. Not sure who.... and fighting they did. There was a lot of it. Quite a few of the characters even ended up losing their heads in battle! A few kids got scared, but Carlee was pretty much saying, "Whoa!" and "Uh-Oh!" and "Bye-Bye!" the whole time. Oh, and SSSSSSSS when the snake came out. She did pretty good, UNTIL it was time to take pictures with the Pupi on stage.

She was fine while the pupi were still. Then someone backstage moved the pupi's hand and put it on Carlee's shoulder and she FLIPPED out! Her facial expression made me laugh so hard. I swept her away and calmed her down, but it was pretty funny.

So the trip was a good one. Carlee did really well. After the play we went to McDonald's which is a treat for the kids, since there's not one at base. I know there's one in Catania, and Misterbianco, but seriously who drives an hour plus just to go to McDonalds? I don't miss it THAT much. hehe. But I was really proud of Carlee, and I'm looking foward to taking more trips with her. I think she'll do just fine... until the whole potty training thing. :D

My friend B took these pictures for me. She took video too, if I can borrow it from her, I'll post it for you, or maybe she'll upload it to youtube or something.

Labels: , ,

 
Comments:
How fun your day sounded!!

I am in the middle of that potty training hell, so I know exactly what you're talking about. :)
 
yeah, it really was a lot of fun, I'm so glad I went on the trip. & I'm sooo not looking foward to potty training, although I found this nifty travel portable potty on Amazon that I will be buying soon. I'm sure it will come in handy. :D Good Luck with potty training!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
I'm just a girl... trying to be a good wife.. trying to be a good mom... trying to finish my degree... trying to adjust to living overseas for the first time... and always looking for new hobbies. :D

Name:
Location: Sicily, Italy
  • Carlee's Blog
  • Old Geocaching Blog
  • My Life as it was in Florida
  • Vive Le Vegan
  • Kitchen Ramblings from a Fairly Odd Tofu Mom
  • Craft Junkie
  • California to Sicily
  • Paradise Failed
  • Suburbia Las Vegas
    Archives
    March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]