Color Me.... Italian
Sunday, September 10, 2006
  A beautiful guesture... and some ramblings
I called Tony at work a few hours ago and he told me something that instantly brought tears to my eyes. Every morning, Tony and his coworkers car pool to Niscemi, which is a good 30-40 minute drive from housing. Once they get to town, they usually always stop at a certain bar to order caffe. (Our boys sure do know what Italian habits to pick up right away, don't they? lol) Anyway, so they always do that on their way to work. Well, the last time the guys went, the Italians told them that they wanted to fly an American flag on Monday, and asked if they could borrow one. Geez. I'm fighting tears right now, as I think about it. Some Americans have already forgotten, and yet, there are Italians who want to show tribute and remembrance. I wish I could stop by tomorrow and tell them thankyou, but Tony will have the car all day and will be on the main base. Maybe we'll take a drive out there anyway. I think it would be nice.

So, it's 8:30 pm. I already got Carlee down to sleep, and I'm just blog surfing. I found a lot of new blogs if you're interested in reading more about life in Italy. I'm definately going to start reading them!
That's a few of them. Too cool. I'm enjoying reading them, and relating to some of their posts already! :) Let's see... other things on my mind at the moment... Tuesday, we're hoping to get out and do a little traveling... we're thinking either Palermo (the capital) or Syracusa (which to see everything each of these cities has to offer would take a few trips!) I've also decided that if I am going to learn Italian it's going to take a lot of extra effort on my part. Tony's lucky because he works with Italians, and some of the other American guys already know a lot of Italian, so he's picking up quite a bit at work. I, on the other hand, am stuck in Mineo housing, which is little America smack dab in the middle of crop land. So, I have nowhere to practice, unless I go talk to the Italian firefighters across the street. Then they'd be like, "why are you talking to us? Where is your husband?!?" LOL... ah well, I do want to learn some with my friend L, but I always feel like I might be imposing if I asked to come over to learn Italian. Anyway, so, I figure, as I try to teach Carlee new words that I might as well learn them in Italian. Baby steps sure, but hopefully it would help. I'm going to start posting them, in case maybe family and friends might like to learn a few words too, and plus because it IS my blog after all. lol :D

So today's words are:
Fun Fun. Geez. I should be studying for my online classes. lol... I've taken two quizzes in my macroeconomics class already, got 90 on one and 100 on the other. Business doesn't require any quizzes. Well, I guess I have blogged enough today... you think? lol... off to study...
 
Comments:
Grazie for the plug and good luck with your italiano! :-)
Heartwarming 9/11 story and God bless you--my mom was a Navy wife too and I think it takes a saint to do it. Dad's retired now but lil' bro is on the subs now too, so the fun never ends! Navy families worldwide, unite! I keep hoping they'll transfer my bro to Italy, but no luck...
 
http://sicilianodyssey.blogspot.com/ is another more local blog. my husband works with one of the guys pictured, so i laughed and laughed.
i actually found a few more too. there's a beer club here. some are even from mineo. i dont know any of the people though...
bbc has a pretty good language learning site. i know i'll never be fluent, but i know enough to get by. :D good luck.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
I'm just a girl... trying to be a good wife.. trying to be a good mom... trying to finish my degree... trying to adjust to living overseas for the first time... and always looking for new hobbies. :D

Name:
Location: Sicily, Italy
  • Carlee's Blog
  • Old Geocaching Blog
  • My Life as it was in Florida
  • Vive Le Vegan
  • Kitchen Ramblings from a Fairly Odd Tofu Mom
  • Craft Junkie
  • California to Sicily
  • Paradise Failed
  • Suburbia Las Vegas
    Archives
    March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]