Color Me.... Italian
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
  My whole wheat blueberry muffins
This morning I felt like baking... so I decided I was going to try my hand at baking some blueberry muffins, the only hard thing would be using my whole wheat flour. I've baked a lot with my grandma, but I'm hardly a pro, so I know nothing about substituting ingredients for others. I did a quick google about substituting wheat for white flour and found out that if you're going to replace all the white flour with wheat, then use 7/8 cup wheat per 1 cup white flour.

I found a recipe online, and altered it a little, mainly the flour. I also ended up adding more blueberries than what it called for, and afterward I think I should of added a little more, just to give more of the blueberry flavor. I also didn't have a cupcake pan, so I just used a sunflower mini-bundt cake pan. It made 6 very big blueberry muffins. hehe...

But they came out good! I was so surprised. I expected them to taste more grainy, but they really are a perfect blend. There's just enough sugar to make it sweet, and if I'd had Splenda, I would of tried using that instead. Even Carlee liked them, she's still working on hers right now. I think I will definately make these again, since the whole wheat is good for you, and these take care of a sweet tooth.

Here's the recipe I used and my alterations if anyone's interested:

1 cup milk (I used skim)
1 egg
1/3 cup veg. oil (I used canola oil)
2 cup all purpose flour (I used 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup blueberries (I added a little more)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Stir milk, egg, and oil. Add flour, baking powder, sugar, and blueberries. Gently mix with as few strokes as possible.
3. Put in cupcake pan and bake for 20 minutes. (I had to leave mine in for a few minutes longer, not much though, probably because they weren't as small as cupcakes. I just kept using the toothpick check.)
 
Comments:
Oh my, I am totally craving blueberry muffins now. Those look sooooo good!
 
why thank you. They tasted pretty good too, I was quite proud of myself. lol
:)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
I'm just a girl... trying to be a good wife.. trying to be a good mom... trying to finish my degree... trying to adjust to living overseas for the first time... and always looking for new hobbies. :D

Name:
Location: Sicily, Italy
  • Carlee's Blog
  • Old Geocaching Blog
  • My Life as it was in Florida
  • Vive Le Vegan
  • Kitchen Ramblings from a Fairly Odd Tofu Mom
  • Craft Junkie
  • California to Sicily
  • Paradise Failed
  • Suburbia Las Vegas
    Archives
    March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger

    Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]